Equipment for rock tumbling
Essential Equipment for Polishing your Pebbles
1) A Rock Tumbler. These come in a range of sizes and designs. Prices for new Rock Tumblers start at around £50 in shops, but you can often buy them from eBay for as little as £10. See our guide to Buying Your Rock Tumbler for more information.
2) Polishing Grits. These are the powders that you put into your rock tumbler barrel (together with water) which act as abrasives to polish the stones. You will need 3 or 4 different kinds of powders to put into the drum. At least one set normally comes with the Rock Tumbler when you buy it new. Here is more information about the different types of grits and where to buy them.
3) Household Equipment. These are the things you will need when cleaning your stones in between each tumbling stage.
- A Sieve for washing the stones. (An old metal kitchen sieve is ideal)
- A small bucket to capture the sludge from the rock tumbler barrel. (A large kids seaside bucket works well)
- A brush to clean your stones and Rock Tumbling barrel. (An old tooth brush or scrubbing brush will do the trick)
4) Sufficient stones to fill about 2/3rds of your tumbler barrel. You may be surprised how many stones you can put in your tumbler barrel. It is important that you put the correct amount of stones in the barrel, as insufficient stones will cause cracking and pitting on the surface of your stones. More information about choosing stones suitable for rock polishing.
what people are looking for on our site
- precious stones
- raw gemstones
- tumbling rough for sale
- gemstones machine
- diy craft cutting machine semi-precious stones
- california native rocks and gemstones
- cutting stones
- rock polishers and saw
- diy polishing pebbles
- homemade rock polishers
- tumbling rocks for sale
- tumbler machines
- tumbler barrel
- pebbles polish machine
- stone tumbler
- rocks for rock tumbler for sale
- homemade tumbler polisher
- how to build a homemade rock tumbler
- hand polishing rough gemstones